Basler Leckerli (Basel cookies)
Ingredients for two medium size baking sheets:
- 450 g honey (16 ounces)
- 300 g sugar (10.5 ounces)
- 1½ tablespoons of cinnamon
- 1 pinch of clove powder
- ½ teaspoon of nutmeg
- 100 g (3.5 ounces) ground candied orange peel
- 100 g (3.5 ounces) ground candied lemon peel
- 200 g (7 ounces) ground almonds
- Grind skin of one lemon
- 1 dl (0.4 cup) of kirsch
- 600g (21 ounces) flour
- 1½ teaspoon of baking powder
- 150 g (5 ounces) confectioner's sugar
- 3 to 5 tablespoons of kirsch or water
- Put honey, sugar, cinnamon, clove powder and nut meg in a pan, heat up slowly, then remove from stove.
- Add candied orange peel, candied lemon peel, almonds and grind skin of lemon, stir until mixed evenly.
- Add kirsch, flour and baking powder, knead on a table to form a soft dough.
- While the dough is still warm, roll it out on the back of two greased baking sheets approximately 5 mm (0.2 inches) thick.
- Let it rest for about 5 to 6 hours or over night in a dry place.
- Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes in the center of the pre-heated oven at 220 °C (430 °F).
- Mix confectioner's sugar and kirsch or water, frost dough immediately.
- Cut off stale edges. Cut dough in small pieces (5 x 3 cm, 2 x 1.5 inches), take them off the baking sheets and let them cool.
Home | Administration | Cantons | Culture | Economy | Education | Geography | History | Statistics | Various | FAQ | Index | Search