Nusstorte (Nut cake)
Ingredients for a form with 28-30 cm (11-12 inches) diameter:
- 485 g (17 ounces) sugar
- 250-300 g (9-10 ounces) shredded walnuts
- 2 dl (6.8 fl. ounces) cream
- 375 g (13 ounces) white flour
- 220 g (8 ounces) margarine
- 1 egg
- 1 pinch of salt
- Put 335 g (12 ounces) sugar in a frying-pan, fry slowly until the sugar starts to foam. Do not stir, because the sugar will get lumpy.
- Add the walnuts, mix well and remove from the heat before the sugar gets too brown.
- Add the cream immediately and let it boil down.
- Let cool down the filling.
- Mix flour, margarine, the rest of the sugar (150 g equals to 5 ounces), the egg and the salt and make a dough.
- Cut the dough into three pieces, two of the same size and one slightly smaller.
- Roll the two pieces of the same size to make up a bottom and a top of the cake in a form with 28-30 cm (11-12 inches) diameter.
- Form a roll with the third piece and place it on the bottom along the form, see figure below.
- Pour the filling evenly on the bottom.
- Cover the cake with the top.
- Bake in the oven at a lower level at about 200°C (400°F) for 40-45 minutes.
- Open the form immediately after removing from the oven to prevent the cake from sticking to the form.
- Put bottom into the form
- Use the ring of dough to form the back of the cake
- Pour the filling on the bottom so that it is level to the top of the back
- Cover the cake with the top
Home | Administration | Cantons | Culture | Economy | Education | Geography | History | Statistics | Various | FAQ | Index | Search