Recipe for Zürcher Geschnetzeltes (cut meat Zürich style)
Recipe and picture by Betty-Bossi, used with permission.
Ingredients for 4 persons:
- 300 g (0.66 pounds) fresh mushrooms, sliced
- juice of ½ lemon
- 600 g (1.3 pounds) veal, cut in small pieces
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 onion, cut in very small pieces
- 1 dl (3.4 fl. ounces) white wine
- 1 to 2 dl (3.4 to 6.8 fl. ounces) water
- 1.5 to 2 dl (5 to 6.8 fl. ounces) cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- grind pepper
- Cook the mushrooms together with the lemon juice in a small, covered pot. Heat up slowly, cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour the liquid into a cup. Add some spices to the mushrooms, keep them warm.
- Melt the margarine in a frying-pan
- Add the onions, stew. Increase the heat, add the meat, add some water and roast gently. Turn the meat occasionally to make sure it gets roasted evenly.
- Remove the meat.
- Add the white wine, let cook until the liquid thickens.
- Add the liquid from 2. plus some gravy-powder, cook until the sauce binds.
- Add the cream and increase the heat slightly.
- Add paprika and some spices.
- Pour salt, pepper and ½ teaspoon paprika on the meat. Put meat into the sauce, increase the heat, but do not cook.
- Add the mushrooms.
- "Zürich Geschnetzeltes" is usually served with "Rösti" (hash browns), but rice or pasta fits fine as well.
- In a restaurant, if this menu is declared as "Zürich Geschnetzeltes", it has to be made out of veal, but you can use pork or chicken if you wish.
- If you like kidney, you may want to replace half of the veal with it.
Home | Administration | Cantons | Culture | Economy | Education | Geography | History | Statistics | Various | FAQ | Index | Search